By JOHN T. BENNETT
Published: 29 Jun 2010 14:52
Print Print | Print Email
The Obama administration may have to rethink whether the U.S. military
will need 2,500 F-35 fighter jets, and needs to craft a clear,
prioritized national security strategy, a top Pentagon adviser told
reporters June 29.
The world has changed tremendously since when the F-35 fighter was
designed, and potential American foes have acquired systems that could
render other kinds of U.S. aircraft, missile systems and other
platforms more useful in certain situations than the
multibillion-dollar F-35, said Andrew Krepinevich, president of the
Washington-based Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.
With possible American enemies, like China, developing and fielding
ever-more advanced systems - such as sophisticated radar suites and
surface-to-air missiles - Pentagon and administration officials must
examine if the Lockheed Martin-made Lightning II will bring as much
"value" to combat by the time it comes online next decade as thought
decades previous when it was designed, he said.
Though the program has recently been in the spotlight due to
significant cost growth and schedule delays, the Pentagon plans to buy
a total of 2,457 of the three F-35 variants. Defense Secretary Robert
Gates and other senior DoD officials have tethered part of their
legacies to turning around the program and one day fielding a fleet of
that size.
But because it might not be as useful from so-called forward air bases
or aircraft carriers because of foes' advanced air defenses, the
Defense Department might have to swallow hard, buy fewer F-35s and use
any savings to buy other aircraft and missiles.
Such alternatives, Krepinevich said, might prove more useful in
combating such advanced air defenses. But, he added, "it depends on how
we deal with this problem."
That very question is being studied as part of two ongoing internal
Pentagon studies: one on the U.S. military's proper global posture, and
another on how it should carry out long-range strike operations, said
Krepinevich, who is a prominent member of the Defense Policy Board.
That panel provides advice on a range of key issues directly to the
defense secretary.
Krepinevich described a world that is rapidly changing, driven by a number of demographic and technological trends.
For one, CSBA analysts "see a lot of upset young people" that will be
tempted to join groups like al-Qaida. That is an increasingly
combustible trend, Krepinevich noted, because "greater and greater
destructive power" is ending up "in the hands" of such individuals and
groups.
Another emerging threat is the proliferation of both nuclear and
precision-guided weaponry, he said, adding cyber attacks and the
increasing vulnerability of U.S. space assets also will be major
drivers of American security requirements.
Against that backdrop of threats, Krepinevich said the Obama
administration needs a better overall security strategy. The
administration does not appear to have put together a detailed, broadly
focused security plan like the one Washington used to guide its actions
during the Cold War.
The White House earlier this year released the Obama administration's
first National Security Strategy. But that closely parsed study,
Krepinevich said, is mostly a "public relations document." To the CSBA
president, it is "striking" that the administration has not put
together a more detailed version of the NSS.
He spoke to reporters during a briefing on a new CSBA analysis of the
fiscal 2011 defense budget request. That study paints a rather bleak
picture.
The study, compiled by CSBA budget guru Todd Harrison, describes a
"growing wave of recapitalization requirements for aging equipment near
the end of service life, despite continued growth in acquisition
funding."
It also notes the Pentagon's 2011 budget "does little to control rising
personnel costs for both DoD civilians and military personnel."
Harrison also found "healthcare costs in particular continue to grow
well above the rate of inflation." That is driven, in large part, by
the "addition of new and expanded benefits and the growing disparity
between the annual premium military retirees pay for TRICARE (which has
not risen in 15 years)," the report states.
The administration's intention to reduce the deficit, and the continued
economic slowdown, will place external pressures on defense spending.
Harrison sees a series of tough choices ahead for Pentagon officials. And many will pit people versus machines.
"The central challenge for the defense budget in the coming years is to
find the right balance between personnel-related costs, such as pay,
pensions, and healthcare, and equipment-related costs, such as new
weapon systems and on-going military operations," according to the
report.
"It can also be viewed as an intergenerational question-a choice
between funding pay and benefits for today's military (and retirees) or
funding the equipment and training needed for those who will fight
tomorrow's wars," Harrison wrote. "The fiscal reality is that in a flat
or declining budgetary environment, the Department will not be able to
fund both to the same extent that it does today."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Pakistan has witnessed new defense acquisitions in this decade than any other, and in the center of it all is the new fighter which ...
-
The terrorist attack on Karachi's Mehran Naval Station on May 22 was conceived and launched by India with the primary objective o...
-
Pakistani pilots flying modernised versions of the 1970s-vintage F-16 Falcon fighter have beaten the RAF's brand-new Eurofig...
No comments:
Post a Comment