MOSCOW, Aug. 13 (UPI) -- Russia's nuclear energy agency Rosatom said
Thursday it will launch Iran's first nuclear power plant next week
after years of delay.
Russia will begin loading uranium-packed fuel rods into the Bushehr
reactor in southwestern Iran on Aug. 21, Rosatom spokesman Sergei
Novikov said Friday. The process will take two to three weeks and is
considered a key step toward operationalization of the reactor that
dates back to the 1970s.
"International society supports such peaceful projects such as
Bushehr because everybody understands that you can't use nuclear power
plant in your hypothetical military program," Novikov told television
channel Russia Today. "It's true that there are two elements of double
purpose -- enrichment and spent fuel management. But both elements are
taken out of Iranian responsibility because we are going to supply with
nuclear fuel Bushehr … for all its lifetime and then we will take the
spent fuel back for processing in Russia."
Russia insists that the procedure of firing up Bushehr will be
carried out under the auspice of the United Nations nuclear watchdog,
the International Atomic Energy Agency. A team of IAEA safety experts
in February and March reviewed Iran's safety regulations with regard to
Bushehr, in a mission that included a visit to the reactor. Russia's
Atomstroyexport, which has completed the long delayed plant, tested the
reactor in July. When the sealed Russian fuel will be opened on Aug.
21, IAEA officers will be present, Novikov said.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during a visit to Moscow in
March warned against starting up Bushehr because of allegations that
Iran runs a secret nuclear weapons program.
The European Union last month imposed sanctions against Iran in a
bid to increase pressure on Tehran to halt its controversial uranium
enrichment program and return to the negotiation table. The measures
target the Iranian financial and trade sectors as well as the energy
industry and came on top of a fourth round of sanctions imposed by the
United Nations in June.
Iran denies Western allegations that its nuclear program is aimed at
building nuclear weapons, vowing instead that it is for civil and
energy purposes only. So far, Western sanctions have failed to pressure
Iran into halting nuclear enrichment and cooperating with the West.
Tehran argues it has the right to pursue nuclear energy independent
from international oversight.
At Bushehr, this Iranian dream could soon come true. The sanctions
don't affect Bushehr because the reactor does not contain sensitive
technology and is run under Russian supervision.
"The Iranians have been able to go ahead with Bushehr because it's
clean," an unnamed nuclear expert told British newspaper The Guardian.
Bushehr's construction was begun in 1975 by a joint venture of the
German companies Siemens and AEG Telefunken, but halted after the1979
Islamic Revolution and the subsequent U.S. Embassy siege in Tehran.
In the 1990s, Russia signed an agreement with Iran to complete the
power plant. Its launch ceremony scheduled for Aug. 21 will be attended
by Rosatom chief Sergei Kiriyenko and Iranian Vice President, Ali Akbar
Salehi, who also heads the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran.
SOURCE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Pakistan has witnessed new defense acquisitions in this decade than any other, and in the center of it all is the new fighter which ...
-
The terrorist attack on Karachi's Mehran Naval Station on May 22 was conceived and launched by India with the primary objective o...
-
Pakistani pilots flying modernised versions of the 1970s-vintage F-16 Falcon fighter have beaten the RAF's brand-new Eurofig...
Wow... Very nice..
ReplyDelete